Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Intentions


Galatians 6
Why do you do what you do? This is just a very heavy question. Why do you do what you do? Why do you work? Why do you exercise? Why do you play video games? Why do you act? Why do you do your favorite hobby? These are all interesting questions with many different answers. They can range from making the big bucks to just simply having fun. How about this question: Why do you serve? Even this question has many answers; some are for popularity while some are for God.
“The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.” (Galatians 6:8). This verse is great. In the past I used to question about if I am doing the right thing? In the past I even questioned my salvation: Am I on the right side of God? If you serve in order to please Jesus, then you are on the right side. If when you donate and it is for the hope that you are impacting it positively, if beyond everything, it is ultimately for God, you are on the right side of God.  You are pleasing the Spirit. So back to the question, why do you do what you do?
On the other hand, it has a negative side. What if everything you do is for a selfish purpose? What if you give to a charity in order to make yourself look good? What if you serve at church in order to be popular? What if everything you do is for yourself? What happens then? “The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction…” That is a scary thought. I mean we all have done something completely for ourselves. I have served in church in order to get recognition before. I mean its fun and it is self pleasing; however, even when I have done this, it has always left me with a feeling of wanting more. I am never satisfied. I am always thirsty. I am always hungry. So let me ask you one more time; why do you do what you do?
Here is a cool thought, what if you worked to please the Spirit? What if you exercised in order to please God? What would that be like? What about playing video games? What about driving your car? What if everything you ever did or will do, was in order to please God? I know for a fact it brings security. It makes your day feel beneficial. It makes it feel like unwasted. Doing it to please God makes you honestly feel good. I challenge you to think about this today. I challenge you to do it. See what your day is like. “…the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.”
-DWYL

No comments:

Post a Comment