Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Don't Forget About Love



I just wanted to encourage you not to forget about love. It seems that love is all to easy to forget. We tend to focus on other issues all to fast. If you look at the popular discussions in Christian circles, it seems that they are full of controversy. Gay/interracial marriage, religious violence, racism, war, abortion, immigration, etc., seem to be the popular topics these past few months. These issues may be or may not be (depending on who you are) that important, this is not about that; however, what we need to remember is love. We need to come to talk about our concerns (what ever they may be) in a way that is loving, not hateful. This is especially true for Christians because unlike the rest of the world, we are called to represent something so much bigger then us: the message of Jesus. When we don't speak and act out in love, we are actually damaging that representation, and the result is the spread of what I like to call, the anti-Gospel. Are you spreading the anti-gospel?

I know that for myself, I spread the anti-gospel by not necessarily spreading hateful speech but by inactivity. I don't speak when I should, nor do I act when it is important. I am part of that sleeping giant who needs to wake up. I tend to get easily distracted with things in my own life that I end up ignoring what is going on around me. My contribution to the anti-Gospel is not showing the opposite; the true Gospel about the Love that God has and that we should have as individuals. Many of you fall into this camp as well. I hope that you can make a commitment with me and stand up in love!

"Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. " - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

No comments:

Post a Comment