Saturday, July 14, 2012

Who would you serve?


Mathew 4:1-11


I find it interesting that Jesus was offered the kingdoms of the world and he denied them. We question many times if Jesus really struggled with the same things we did. Did he struggle with lust, envy, pride, etc? I would have to say yes. Here we see Jesus looking out at the kingdoms of the world and having an opportunity to have it all. It wasn't just the kingdoms, but everything in them. It was the money, fame, power, wealth, women, etc. It was everything that this world has to offer; this was Jesus' real temptation. What was his response? "Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only."

I must admit, if I was proposed that offer, I don't know if I would have the same response. The reason I say this is because I struggle with this same temptation but on a much smaller scale. I struggle with wanting the new gadget, car, or even video game. In other words, I really do wrestle with desiring the pleasures of this world and what they bring.  Sometimes my thoughts become consumed with them; consequently, I don't even think about God or who he is. So, it is honestly hard for me to imagine being in Jesus' shoes and giving the same answer as him.

My challenge to you this morning is more of a question. Looking at this story and this temptation, what would you say? Would you say that you need to to serve God only or would you jump at the opportunity to have it all. I just want you to check your heart and be honest with yourself. If you do this, then whatever answer you have will empower you with the ability to work on yourself. All I ask is to be honest with your self.

No comments:

Post a Comment