Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mirroring Jesus




"I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.” John 5:19

           Being a church leader, I hear a lot of people question God’s will for their life. They don’t know what to do and some even feel lost. This is evident in periods of my life as well. Does God want me to be a teacher, or does he want me to be a professional tap dancer? I am terrible at the latter but my point is simple, what does God want us to do with our lives? Is there this huge calling or something simpler?
            
The answer to the above question is both. God does have a plan for your life. He has called you to do something that was just made for you. You are a part of this complex and divine plan of brining his will and love on this earth. It is a job that was made only for you; however, you might not yet know what that job is. Here is where it gets easier. Just because we are not sure of God’s calling does not mean that we should sit on our butts and play with our thumbs. God still has something detrimental for us to do. He wants us to mimic him. We are called to do something great; however, we are also called to reflect Jesus on every aspect of our lives. That verse in John shows that Jesus was just mimicking his Father; likewise, we are adopted sons of God and we should be trying to reflect Jesus.  
            
Someone still might say, “How do we do this? How do we reflect and copy Jesus? This task is still so difficult.” This person is correct, it is hard. In our world today, there is so much temptation out there. We are tempted with lust, greed, gluttony, laziness, etc. It is so easy to turn on the television and loose our sense of time .The whole day can pass us by without us being aware of it. It is so easy for a young person to indulge in the overabundance of sex in their society. This is especially true for the westerner. So how do we figure out what we should do? The answer is again easy; What Would Jesus Do? I love that phrase, and I must say that I wish I was the one that came up with it. W.W.J.D covers every base of our lives. If we run every thought or desire through this filter, most of us would find the answers we seek. Should I help the homeless guy down the road? Well W.W.J.D. Wow, my mother just freaked out on me for not cleaning my room. I have an answer, W.W.J.D. I know this answer might sound simple, but it still is true. Sometimes the solutions we seek in life are not as complicated as we imagine. So today, I want to encourage you to just breathe and think of this phrase: What Would Jesus Do?


No comments:

Post a Comment